Thursday, May 27, 2010

Activity Two Observation

For activity two we were supposed to observe in a place that we do not normally go. I was having a difficult time deciding where to go because I am a person who will pretty much go anywhere and try anything. As I thought about it though I started thinking about parents and how they would differ from me. I chose to go to Glen Park, which I do go to fairly often, but I observed at one of the playgrounds where all the parents and children hang out. Because I don't have children this is not normally where I would be found in the park.
When I decided to go to this place I wasn't really sure that there would really be anything interesting to write about, but there definitely were interesting behaviors. I focused more on the parents, particularly mothers, more than the children because the children do not really know social behaviors yet.
The behaviors that I noticed I thought were quite humorous. If a mother was holding a child she was either pacing back and forth or shifting her hips from side to side. If two people were talking it was typically about their children or it was somehow family related. Their bodies were facing their children quite literally the whole time and they tended to stand far away from other adults. I also noticed that adults won't address kids other than their own. They will smile at them though and if the child says something the adult will respond. If a child starts crying everyone is looking to make sure it is not their own child. I also noticed that when a child is hurt or crying the parent of that child does a half run, half walk over to their child while all the other parents watch to make sure the child's parent is coming to help.
From these behaviors I realized that there are many unspoken rules when it comes to children. Firstly, swear words or inappropriate conversation are not acceptable around children. It was also very apparent that each mother was solely responsible for their own child or children. Each mom had to make sure their child was safe and was behaving. There also seemed to be a rule about space as each family had claimed its own little area.
I really had a lot of fun watching these people interact with each other, but as I realized how exclusive families are, I couldn't help but think about societies where the children are raised by the entire community. Because I have never been around children and parents in this type of situation I have never realized how little socialization there is between the adults. It seems odd because children will talk to anyone and everyone and make new friends while they play, but the adults seem to do the exact opposite. My question to go along with this activity is: Do you think parents should only be responsible for their own children or would a communal society be more beneficial?

5 comments:

  1. Very interesting observations Cheryl. I think there already is some communal parenting in our society. Like you said in your observations, when a child was crying all the parents would look to make sure that the parent was coming to the child’s aid. If no parent was coming right away, there would several people coming to that child and looking for the parent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this question and observation as well! It sticks out to me because I work in daycare and deal with parents and children all day! I believe that it is obviously a parents responsibilty to watchover their own children and take full responsibility for their actions, but I do think it would be beneficial for other parents to help look after other children especially at a park. If everyone looked after each other and their children their may be less kidnappings of children, and less aggression that some children face between each other. I don't think it's another parents job to punish another child, obviously, but looking out for them is a good thing to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great observations! Also good question that is a very interesting idea to think about. I still think that parents should be responsible for their own children. I think every parent is sympathetic to other kids because they have kids of your own but the relationship between a child and their parents is far more powerful that any other bond that and other superior could make. I think its the parent's duty to take care of their own children and teach them what they want their children to know about life and how they think their children should act. If some other parent enters the mix and is trying to teach them something of their own nature, i think it would make for some messed up children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your question immediately made me think of the book "The Giver." If you haven't read that book, Cheryl, I think you might enjoy it. Nonetheless, I personally wish our society felt "smaller." Smaller towns, for example, the individuals seem more united with one another. For that reason, I do wish that our society was more communal. But I don't think that is going to happen in America becaus we tend to value individualism above all things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like that you choose Glen park because I am not a parent either and it would be interesting to watch some parents in action. I think that like Jordan said there is for sure some communal parenting involved. I even know that I do it, maybe it is the fact that I am a future teacher and help out in my mom's classroom all the time with children. If I see a child walking around anywhere by themselves at a young age I will help them out to find their parents, etc. I would hope that anyone would do this for a child, although there are for sure tons of creeps in the world so it is sad...

    ReplyDelete