Friday, May 28, 2010

Activity Three: Ethnic Background

I have always known that I was mostly German and a little bit Polish, but I have never really discussed my family history with my parents or grandparents. My family doesn't really know how the Polish ended up in there, but they do know some things about our German ancestors. The generation that came here from Germany was my father's grandfather's grandfather, so I guess that would be my great great great grandfather. They came here in the 1850's to escape political unrest in Germany. My grandma's family on my dad's side came over around the same time for similar reasons.

I really don't feel that my ethnic background influences who I am a whole lot. There might be a couple of things that are typical of German people, for example not being extremely talkative. I discussed this with my mom and she said it was probably because when everyone came over to the United States they were very poor farmers that worked all the time and didn't have the energy or the need to talk all the time. This characteristic must have stuck around because this is very true of my entire family and myself. None of us are very outspoken and we definitely don't like being the center of attention. It also seems pretty typical to be stoic and not really show very much emotion. This is also very evident in my family. I have seen my dad cry once and have literally never seen my mom cry. It works the other way too with showing excitement.

While I don't think my ethnic background has a huge influence on me, there are many factors that have shaped me into who I am. I think the most influential aspect is that I am the youngest of five children, and am also the only girl. My brothers were my role models and I copied everything they did. I still act like a girl, but I cannot stand drama and petty little issues. I would rather be on a boat or out in the woods instead of sitting around and talking. I would rather socialize with people through doing adventurous activities than just asking questions and receiving answers. Another aspect that has shaped my life is my family's financial standing. I didn't grow up with very much money. It was never a problem but I do feel that I appreciate everything I have because of it. I also feel that it made me a more creative person because I had to find things to do that were inexpensive instead of just going to a movie all the time. I also feel that it made me a hard worker because nothing was ever just handed to me. I'm very strong-willed and when I want to do something I do it and I believe it's because no one spoiled me. Another aspect is that I grew up in the country. I love being outside and running around barefoot. I do like to shop and go to the cities sometimes but if I had the choice I would rather hang out on the lake and go swimming and jump off rope swings.

I think it would be pretty hard to tell what my ethnic background is. I think there is enough "other stuff" in me that it's not really obvious. The only thing that could give a hint about being German is that I have very blue eyes, and that could be typical of other ethnicities as well. I really don't think it makes a difference as to how people communicate with me. I feel that the fact that I'm a woman would have more of an influence on how people talk to me than my ethnicity.

Question: If you were an ethnicity that was obvious to other people, do you think you would feel different about discrimination or about racism?

5 comments:

  1. Interesting fact about German people being not very talkative, I'm mostly German myself and had no idea! And I also thought the part about your brothers majorly influencing you was sweet because it does seem to make sense that growing up in a house of boys will lead you away from pettyness and drama and rather make you want to be more outside!

    I think if I was a different ethnicity that would be obvious to other people, I personally would feel differently about racism. I don't necessarily pay attention to all the different races and I'm for sure not racist, but it seems that most people that are a minority, or different ethnicity seem to think we (as white Americans) may prejudge or make rude racist comments towards those not of our ethnicity. If I was a different vivid ethnicity, I don't think I would try to feel differently about discrimintaion or racism, I think it may just come naturally for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m also mostly German and had no idea about them being nontalkative, very interesting. If I was a more obvious ethnicity, or even in an area where my ethnicity was a minority, I do feel that I would be more aware of racism and discrimination. It would probably cause me to experience racism and discrimination first hand causing me to be more aware of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you ask a great question. Like you, I don't believe my ethnicity directly influences the communication I have with others here in in the Midwest. But if I was of a different ethncity, then I think I would absolutely feel different. I think so because ethnicity can sometimes predict future success. That is very sad but it seems to be true. For instance, I recall that Malcolm Gladwell wrote in his book "Blink" that business excecutives (the head honchos) don't only tend to be men rather than women, but more specifically, tall men rather than shorter men. So I think ethnicity, like gender ethnicity, can play a key role in one's interpretation of our American society.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good question! I think I would absolutley feel different about discrimination and racism. If you are being judged upon something that you cannot control and that is a part of who you are, you are bound to feel singled out and uncomfortbale in your skin. If I was unable to get a job or someone would not be my friend because they didn't agree with my ethnicity I would feel horrible. People like that don't deserve my friendship or company. Even so it would still make me feel very different, like im an outsider.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do think that if I was an ethnicity that was more obvious, racism would stand out to me alot more because I would be dealing with it first hand. On the other hand though I feel like I have a pretty open eye to racism just because I have read about it alot and not ever having it happen first hand I do not know the emotions that others go through and I am very interested in this I wish I could walk in the shoes of someone that was a more obvious ethnicity so I could see what they go through on an everyday basis.

    ReplyDelete