Thursday, June 3, 2010

Activity Eight

When I was little I didn't go to friends houses very often because I had four brothers at home to play with and our house was hardly ever quiet. Because I grew up in a big family I sort of became a homebody because I didn't need to go anywhere else to find entertainment. In eighth grade I was the only left at home because all of my brothers had graduated and gone off to college. I went from having a huge family to essentially being an only child, and I was bored. Because of this I had to learn how to become a lot more outgoing and get used to leaving the house more to find entertainment. At first I hated having to start conversations and sleeping at other friends' homes. It felt so unnatural to me because I had never had to work to have friends before; my brothers had always been there to play with or talk to. Eventually it became a lot easier to strike up a conversation and I felt more comfortable at my friends' places, but it definitely took a while to get used to. I still wouldn't say that I'm the most outgoing person in the world but I'm so much more outgoing than I used to be and I can pretty much be comfortable in any situation now.

Question: Do you think your family influenced how outgoing you are in any way? Do you think it was more from watching their actions or other factors (such as family size for me)?

4 comments:

  1. I believe that family plays a huge role in influencing people about how outgoing you are. If you come from a loud, opinionated family, chances are you will probably not have a problem being outgoing or loud. You can watch the actions of others, yes, and learn from them to take on the same sort of personality traits, and family size can also matter. If you are the youngest or oldest in the family it will most likely make a difference at what kind of personality you have. They say most children are never the same like the oldest and second oldest in a family are usually the opposite, but I suppose not all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my family had a huge impact on how confident I am. They have always pointed out how social I was as a child and how I was a wonderful person to be around. They treated me with a lot of love so it made it much easier for me to love my self. I was also the oldest of my siblings so I had alone time with my parents before the other two were born which gave me more time to gain a good confidence for life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think family size definitely had an impact on how outgoing I am, or at least how close I am with my friends. I only have one older brother and he was always busy with his friends. I had to make friends also if I wanted to hangout with someone. Because of this, I became pretty out going. I learned how to make friends partly by observing my brother’s behavior so I guess I was partly influenced by watching his actions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes honestly I do feel that your family impacts the way that you are socially. My mom's side is huge and super outgoing and so I know that throughout my years I have become alot more outgoing and comfortable with what I say and how I act. Good luck to my boyfriends though. Hah

    ReplyDelete